Home » Community, News

St. John’s Chapel, Pottlelake, Umborne, Shute.

15 August 2012 1,340 views No Comment

The home of Peter and Gilly Lea-Cox, Leigh Cottage, a delightful thatched cottage, was built about 1560 and it has a Priest Hole. (left click on photos to enlarge them).

The upper storey was added in 1770 and the adjoining chapel (St. John’s) was built in 1893  by a priest ( Rev. WHB Proby) living in the cottage and, when he died in 1912, it began to be used for services.

Pottlelake Chapel, Colyton

Description: Pottlelake Chapel

Grade: II
Date Listed: 19 October 1984
English Heritage Building ID: 87824

Location: Chapel Knap, Colyton, Devon EX24 6PD
Chapel. Dated 1893. Small stone rubble chapel adjoining Leigh Cottage qv. Slate
roof with gabled ends. Small timber and slate hooded bellcote over ridge to left.
Left hand Tudor arched stone doorway with dripmould. To right two stone windows
each with three four centred arched lights, and leaded panes. Similar window in
east gable end with tablet above with initials “WH.BP” (Rev. WHB Proby?)

and date “1893”. (Our thanks to English Heritage for this information)

Stained glass windows:

Local farmers can still remember attending harvest festivals in the small chapel, whilst some were even baptised there.

It is said that the cornices were taken to this chapel by Rev WHB Proby from St Giles church in Northleigh. Can anyone please verify this?

The Lea-Cox’s have lived there since 1992 (on August 14th 2012 they celebrated their 20th anniversary of moving in to Leigh Cottage)

Photos courtesy of Helene Buse.

Rick Wood